Tuesday, January 12, 2010

2010 ALREADY

Review of the Last 2 Months
Last post October 2009? I can really let things slide. Anyway, a few events worth noting since then:
  • Belly dance recital. Some dear friends and somewhat reluctant faimly members had the "privilege" to see a side of me I did not know I had. No, it wasn't that kind of belly dancing; I was referring to my attraction to Middle Eastern music. And, okay, I do adore those long, dangling earrings straight out of Arabian nights. Also, I learned that I have the ability to cover up a mistake quickly, and pretend like nothing happened--a useful skill to acquire.
  • What's wrong with Filipino American communities in the U.S.? Enough said.
  • Christmas in Vancouver, Canada. Generally overcast skies, and nothing like Chicago in terms of the Christmas spirit, but I did spend time with my brother and his family, their first Christmas out of the Philippines. Unlike most family holiday movies, this did not result in people screaming at each other or the revelation of dark secrets. It was subdued and poignant, for me at least. And Matthew reveled in the fact that the drinking age is lower in Canada. The biggest revelation of the season for me was how well he could hold his liquor. The most endearing: my seven-year old niece calling herself a historian, carrying a list around of famous people (including Hitler, go figure). The most heart-wrenching: the good-byes.

Body
Haven't done much in terms of getting ready for the camino. Took a break from belly dancing, zumba, and swimming; when it's below freezing out I just want to curl up with a book or my dog, whichever happens to be near at the moment. I have started walking Isis again, cut down on my calories, and will go back to my physical regimen. It's only 7 months before the camino, and Bunny and company have started to look at the logistics in earnest.

Mind
In lieu of prose, I'd like to offer a poem that I wrote some years ago, from my chapbook called "Old Man Walking." I've set aside Proust for the moment--there's enough gloom and despondency in these winter months. Not that this poem is a beam of radiant sunlight either, but with the coming national elections in the Philippines (and the difficult times here in the US) I thought I'd share what I think of politics in general.

The Alley
With barely enough space to cast a shadow

the alley sucks pneumonic breath

from a child whose saucer eyes have seen much
and reveal nothing.

The alley divides but does not hide
her neighbor's stale rice and thoughts

which she doesn't quite understand

but makes her shudder.

When it rains the alley is a river

carrying shoes tin cans
even a cat

to places unknown.


The alley provides passage

but does not promise emergence.
It is escape without destination.

The alley is two worlds leaning in
gravitating toward communal collapse

while they stare across the dust
each daring the other to blink first.


The coming months promise to be interesting.

Peace,
Almira







1 comment:

  1. Almi, been trying to contact you. Have you read through my latest emails?

    ReplyDelete